Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tabernacle Organ


This picture taken at the Tabernacle where the Tabernacle Choir sing. As one can see there is an organist who was practicing for the next service at 2:00 PM. It sounded fantastic.
If I have my facts straight it was made from Timber from neighboring Parowan and Pine Valley Mountains by Joseph Harris Ridges who had lived near an organ factory in England. Originally the Organ was powered by hand-pump bellows but today by electricity. When first constructed in 1867 the Organ contained some 700 pipes but now contains 11,623.

5 comments:

  1. Wow good for you to take the time to see(hear) this...I have seen the choir on tv and it sounds great...in person must be beyond belief...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear the Tabernacle Choir sing in person, with accompaniment by this HUGE instrument. And, Bec.....I have no idea who polishes all those pipes, but I am glad it is NOT me!! LOL

    ReplyDelete