Thursday, April 15, 2010

31st Day - Glacial Day

Temperature range today was low 40s to low 50s and overcast for most of the day but no rain. I am thinking I will take it for as far North as I am.
It was quite a trek up to Glacier National Park but the rewards were worth it. The only disappointment was one could only drive up to the end of McDonald Lake which is 10 miles up Going-to-the-Sun Road. The guard at the 10 mile gate said that I am only seeing about 25% of the real beauty of the Park. One can only imagine! If one waited until Mid-May to Mid-June to enter these Parks, it would be ideal. I really like the idea of very little crowds.
On the way to Glacier National Park near Kalispell, believe it or not, there is an Animal Bridge that actual goes over the road Route 2. I am going to say it is close to a football field long. It is also the very first one I have ever witnessed.
It is the very first time that I crossed the Continental Divide as well. I stopped in a small Food Mart near Marais Pass on Route 2 for some gasoline. One of the people in the Food Mart said it is not unusual to get storms of over 4 feet of snow there at one time. Not sure I am ready for that!
I am going to try and get to Yellowstone tomorrow.
Night Night!
The Traveller

2 comments:

  1. Your updates are fantastic. I really wish I could have gone with you. What a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it....an animal bridge! And you thought there was nothing new under the sun. You can say that you were there before the glaciers are all gone!

    ReplyDelete