Saturday, April 17, 2010
Golden Gate Pass
If one looks to the new pavement (middle of picture) it is an area called Golden Gate (named for the light-colored volcanic rock). This was once a wooden trestle that formed a bridge. The wood trestle was built in 1885 to allow passage from Mammoth Hot Springs to Yellowstone Plateau thus saving a half-days travel up to the plateau. The concrete trestle was rebuilt twice since the 1900s. It is located a few miles in from the North entrance of Yellowstone Park.
Notice the bare trees in the background showing evidence of fire damage.